Saturday, November 3, 2007
part 3 - Meres (continued)
        We have by this time strolled fairly far into the gardens, with the sounds of the party dying away behind us, replaced by the brief showers of bright birdsong, scattered over the soft breath of a light summer wind upon the leaves of plants and trees, the distant sound of moving water. It occurs to me that I do not quite know my way through Luce's gardens - he has a tendency toward a labyrinthine model of structure, and delights in having visitors (himself included) truly lost in the surroundings. It is mildly amusing, of course, though I feel it is not always desirable. To each his own, I suppose.
        The sound of water grows louder, and a delicate stream appears, winding its way between flags and falling over stones which sparkle in the strong sunlight, which filters in intricate filigree through the leaves overhead. The breeze rustles lightly through the leaves of willow trees, and, I realize, also the leaves of birch trees.
        "It seems we have found our way nearly to the grove I was thinking of earlier," I muse. "Do watch for a slim figure stretched out tiredly on a divan in some shaded corner - that will be my dear Veri, whom I ought to introduce you to."
        "Is he as kind a listener as you are?"
        I chuckle. "Not really. He... oh but we are all selfish. He is merely a bit more subject to moods, and to physical discomforts. His... he has a few old wounds, which trouble him rather often."
        "I see. But it is no matter, really, I feel I have said quite enough for one day, you really are too kind."
        I restrain a laugh. Kind! Oh how little the dear thing sees, for all her possible ability.
        "Meres? Is that you?"
        I smile and lead Cerise down a faint path that leads away from the stream and, passing between large bushes of gardenias, into a dense grove of white birch trees. The light is soft here, filtered by the many leaves, the breeze gentle and the shaded air soothing. The palette of colors in this space is limited, and thus quieting to the eyes as well as the ears, only white, medium greens, and a few slight shades of carmine and rose. The divan has been placed just beside the large, many-colored leaves of a caladium, accented by plumes of astilbe.
        "Veri, darling, how are you feeling?"
        "Tired, but this is quite a lovely place to rest awhile."
        Cerise has let her hand fall from my arm, and she stands shyly to the side, uncertain of what to do. I move toward Veri, and lean down to brush a bit of hair gently back from his face. "You do look a little better, I am quite glad. Would you like some company?"
        His brow furrows, and I frown to see him so troubled. "I should like to be alone, it was good of you to come all the way out here but..." He looks over at Cerise and purses his lips tighter together. "I'm really not in the mood."
        I sigh and shake my head, gently patting his hand before straightening up and turning back toward the girl. "Do come see me before leaving Luce's, darling, will you?"
        He makes a non-committal sound, closing his eyes and slumping back into the divan. I shrug and take Cerise's hand, leading her silently away. She looks troubled, and I know she thinks she has caused him some offense without intending any, but of course she hasn't, he is only feeling sullen again. Oh but he makes me feel so tired myself! I should explain this to her but I haven't the energy.
        "Do you think you can find your way out of the gardens on your own, child? I am weary, I do not think I will return to the party."
        She draws breath sharply, taken aback. "I... I suppose so. Yes, I can. But... do tell me, have I done something to offend you? Or your friend?"
        "No, no," I reply vaguely. "Nothing at all. I am simply... I am tired. As was he, the heat of the sun seems to have wearied us both today. Do go on and enjoy the party, dear, you haven't done a thing wrong."
        She hesitates a moment more, then turns back toward the rose garden. Her walk is slow at first, but soon picks up speed - whether she hurries away to hide her upset emotions, or has shrugged off our tepid responses and is eager to return to more pleasant company, I do not know. Nor, really, do I care, I have lost interest for the moment. Perhaps I shall find her later.

        I do wonder that my spirit has so dulled... I suppose it must be from seeing Veri still so melancholy. Yet why should that trouble me so?
        ...oh, I know the reason, I have tried so to forget but the reason is that I have tried to forget. I was in no pleasant mood today. Are any of us ever? There is no true joy left to us, only the dull shadows of physical pleasure...

        I move farther into the gardens, searching for some spot that will please my unfocused eyes, that will cool my heated forehead, that will soothe with gentle breezes the aching scars on my back. I enter into a heavily shaded place, where the branches interlace close over my head, and the heavy scent of wisteria sublimates the summer air. I hear someone whistling - whistling! How common, how tiresome, who should be so blasé as all that in a place as this? I feel sullied by the very lowness of it, though it comes not from myself. I follow the sound, and find a young man leaning against a tree, idly looking up into the branches. He is dressed as the servants Luce had present at the party.
        "Why have you left your station?" My voice is a low growl, threatening. Instantly he turns his gaze to me, startled.
        "I... I was no longer needed, really, there was more than enough help and so I thought..."
        "You thought to shirk your duties. I am sure Luce would not take kindly to hearing of this."
        "With all due respect sir, would he---"
        "Of course he would believe me!" I snap sharply. "Whyever would he take the word of a mere mortal over that of... of one of us? And do not think for a moment that he would let you off with a mere warning, or a verbal reprimand..."
        "He would discharge me, of course, I understa---"
        "You understand nothing. You would be lucky to leave with your body as lovely as it was when you arrived, if you left at all."
        I will give this one credit, he scarcely flinches, though I can see every muscle in him tense. "And what concern of yours is this?"
        I smile slowly, cruelly. "Why, darling, I should hardly be a true and loyal friend to dear Luce if I gave you a chance to slip away unnoticed. I ought to bring you to him myself. Only... only it wouldn't do to interrupt the party, he looked to be having such a lovely time. It wouldn't do to spoil the fun for him. But what then to do with you? I suppose I could shut you up in the house, but, really, what is the fun in that?" As I speak, I move closer to him, and before he can pull away I grip his arm tightly in one hand - a hand all the stronger and harsher now, for the gentleness of its touch upon the girl's skin. "Oh, what to do with such a one? I suppose I shall have to keep an eye on you myself, I can hardly trust the duty to some mere underling, and I shouldn't like to ruin the party for anyone else. But I can hardly be blamed for entertaining myself in the process, can I?" I lean close and flick my tongue lightly around the edge of his ear. "Whatever shall I do with one such as you? I find myself quite unable to decide, there are so many possibilities..."
        His lip curls and he cannot help but squirm, trying to writhe away from my touch, from the nearness of my skin. Oh, I shall take my time with this one! The party will not wane until long after dark, and it is only mid-afternoon now.
 
posted by Melissa at 10:16 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: