Friday, November 23, 2007
note
Y'know, I really hadn't quite figured out Carey. I still have no idea what he looks like. But he's getting an awful lot of screentime..uh, partly due to Meres showing up. It's really annoying though, I'm writing through this wonderful angsty emotional backstory-revealing scene, and... I'm really not sure I want these two to be the ones going through it. I really don't know if it makes sense coming from them at all. Certainly not Carey..oh though I suppose he ought to have history-angst as well, everyone else does.

I'm wondering if it's not feeling rather repetative, having each one's section start out as just a day in the life sort of thing, and then building up to ANGSTFEST!!1!!1! and them breaking down and crying their eyes out about their past. I suppose it's not the best sort of pacing. At the same time, I really can't keep away from the angst, because *they* can't keep away from it. They try like anything but it *always*, always comes back, they can't keep it at bay for very long, it haunts them constantly.

Also it serves them right, they're so mean to my poor Mackie! It's really no wonder that he ran away from the novel last night, not that he was involved anyway but tonight they're berating him terribly and it's making me so sad.

I really ought to be sleeping but I'm on a roll with this scene, I was hoping it would take off on its own and it really has - in a completely different way than I had expected it to! but it took off and it's actually probably more interesting this way. My pre-planned plots are usually pretty bad. I'll run this all by Tom - AFTER November is over - and have him re-tell it all back to me in a nice Aristotelean structure, and thus fix things.

By the way - I am officially blind. I only realized like a week ago that the paragraph indentations were insanely wonky on this thing. Which was odd, because I paste in exactly eight spaces with good ol' ampersand-n-b-s-p-semicolon, at the beginning of each. It was a good couple of days more until I realized why it was doing this - HELLO the text is all justified! So while I adore how sleek and old-fashioned that makes everything look, I decided that it was hard for *me* to read it with the paragraph indents all over the place. So, I poked the code, and there is no longer any justification at all for my novel.

Pun intended, it's almost 2am and I just churned out like 3k words in one go.
 
posted by Melissa at 12:43 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: